Redressing Grievances of Ex-Servicemen over OROP
Salient features of the Government order dated 07.11.2015 on OROP are as under:-
· Pension of the past pensioners would be re-fixed on the basis of pension of retirees of calendar year 2013 and the benefit will be effective with effect from 01.07.2014.
· Pension will be re-fixed for all pensioners on the basis of the average of minimum and maximum pension of personnel retired in 2013 in the same rank and with same length of service.
· Pension for those drawing above the averages shall be protected.
· Arrears will be paid in four equal half yearly instalments. However, all the family pensioners including those in receipt of Special / Liberalized family pension and Gallantry award winners shall be paid arrears in one instalment.
· In future, the pension would be re-fixed every 5 years.
Personnel who opt to get discharged henceforth on their own request under Rule 13(3)1(i)(b), 13(3)1(iv) or Rule 16B of the Army Rule 1954 or equivalent Navy or Air Force Rules will not entitled to the benefits of OROP. It will be effective prospectively.
Around 3200 representations for addressing the anomalies on OROP were received from individuals / Associations which were examined and issues referred to the Judicial Committee on OROP for its recommendations. The Committee has submitted its report on 26.10.2016.
Public Grievance Cell in the Department is receiving grievances of the pensioners / family pensioners and taking up the matter with the concerned offices e.g. Controller General of Defence Accounts (CGDA), Principal Controller of Defence Accounts (Pension), etc for redressal of their grievances. Disposal of grievances is monitored at the highest level in the Government.
Out of 20,81,072 OROP beneficiaries, 20,07,090 Pensioners have already received the first instalment and lumpsum payment on account of OROP. Further, in 15,66,486 cases, 2nd instalment have also been paid.